How SSL Secures You


15 Interesting Facts About Urbanised Australia - 5Factum

Australia is a beautiful country – home to a lot of spectacular wildlife and views, with famous buildings and landmarks that many travelers long to see. More than 70% of the Australian population participates regularly in some form of sport, although over 25% of the country is considered to be obese.

Australia, the smallest continent and one of the largest countries on Earth, lying between the Pacific and Indian oceans in the Southern Hemisphere. Australia’s capital is Canberra, located in the southeast between the larger and more important economic and cultural centres of Sydney and Melbourne.

Here are 15 Interesting Facts About Urbanised Australia.

1. Most of Australia’s exotic flora and fauna cannot be found anywhere else in the world. A selfie with cuddly marsupials like koalas, quokkas, wombats, and kangaroos are only possible in Australia.

Facts About Urbanised Australia (1)

2. Melbourne was the capital city of Australia for 26 years between 1901 and 1927 before the capital shifted to Canberra.

3. Australia is the smallest continent of the seven continents and although some consider Australia as the largest island in the world, Australia is commonly referred to as a country and a continent.

4. The Australian Alps get more snow than the Swiss Alps. While many people visit Australia for its brilliant beaches and year-round sunshine, the Australian Alps, straddling New South Wales and Victoria, are a mecca for skiing enthusiasts. Snow usually falls between June and September, meaning Australia is the perfect place to get your skiing fix during the northern hemisphere summer.

Facts About Urbanised Australia (2)

5. The longest fence in the world is in Australia, and it runs for over 5,530 kilometers. The wall here in the Southern United States is going to be less than 2000 miles.

6. Aussies drink 1.7 billion liters of beer per year, that’s about 680 bottles of beer for each adult.

7. Way back in the history of Australia, indigenous people were settled on the land for around 50,000 years before the British arrived.

8. Some data reports that the total population of Kangaroos is almost 50 million now. Back in 2016, there were almost 45 million Kangaroos, which means that there are more Kangaroos in Australia than people!

Facts About Urbanised Australia (3)

9. Per-capita, Australians spend more money on gambling than any other nation, with over 80 percent of Australian adults engage in gambling of some kind. Also, 20 percent of the world’s poker machines are found in Australia.

10. The Box Jellyfish – which is found in the waters of the Great Barrier Reef – is responsible for more deaths than snakes, sharks and saltwater crocodiles combined.

11. There are so many different types of species in Australia that only 25% of them have been discovered and are known to humans. This leaves 75% which are totally undiscovered as of yet.

Facts About Urbanised Australia (4)

12. An 800-meter high mountain that was named by the explorer’s Hamilton Hume and William Hovell in 1824. The mountain got its name because of the disappointing view from the top. The explorers expected to see Port Philipp Bay from the top, but a large number of trees prevented this.

 13. Voting in elections in Australia is compulsory (you don’t have a choice) for everyone 18 years of age and over, with an initial fine of $72 issued for non-voters. Despite this, only around 81% of eligible Aussie voters cast their votes.
Facts About Urbanised Australia (5)
14. Some people don’t think of the land down under as one of the largest countries in the world, but the total area is a massive 2.9 million square miles or 7 692 000 km². That’s just slightly smaller than the continental U.S.

However, Australia is one of the least densely populated countries with only 3 people per square kilometer.

15. Even in 2018, politicians discussed the Australian flag design and whether it should be changed. The flag still incorporates the Union Flag of the United Kingdom, which isn’t a true reflection of modern Australian life.

Our son-in-law is an Australian.  Scott. (Good Guy) He married our youngest daughter, Ann, who gave us a beautiful grandson, Spencer.

Ann works for the USO, which means, United Service Organization.  Ann is Director of Operations at Camp Pendleton California.  Scott is an IT expert.  Olaf is their dog and he is gentle.

Weirdest Flags

Cool Flags

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

How SSL Secures You
%d bloggers like this: